Totem Animal Spirits – Discover your totem animal?
Many tribal societies believe in totem animals and that the spirits of animals meet you in dreams to give you guidance. Shamans claim that they can astral travel with their ‘power animals’ to distant lands or other dimensions. Tribal cultures recognize a totem animal for the tribe, one for the clan you belong to, and one for the family that you are born into. Similar ideas permeated Celtic cultures echoes of which may still be found in Ireland.
This is a copyrighted extract from my book Psychic Dreaming by Craig Hamilton-Parker ( ISBN 1-4027-0474-7 Sterling Publishers 2004 )
Are Totem Animals Fantasy or Fact?
Unfortunately I have had a bad experience with ‘power animals’. I allowed a chat room volunteer to teach the lore of ‘power animals’ on my Internet online classes and they ended up giving people messages from hamsters, ant and poodles! Needless to say, we removed the teacher. Sensible shaman live in the real world yet at the same time appreciate that there are natural forces around us working for the good.
I sometimes sense nature spirits when I walk through the woods or a place of natural beauty. My hard-to-describe experience is one of being aware of a special atmosphere or energy in the air. I also have a feeling that whatever it is I am sensing it is conscious but not in the same way we would describe animal or human consciousness. Similarly, tribal people have spoken about these feelings and personified these forces as fairies, devas, elementals, sprites and so on. They believe that they are helped in their dreams by these powers of Nature which manifest as ‘power animals’.
The Totem Animal List
A totem animal may come to you in a dream and shamans say represents qualities which you need in this world. These qualities are often hidden or obscured. Some of the most common ‘power animals’ and totem animals include:
SACRED SPIRIT ANIMALS
- Bear: Bears hibernate in the winter and are associated with dreams, prophecy and introspection. A bear’s cave can symbolize the womb of Mother Earth. The American Indians believe that people with Bear Medicine as their totem animal are self-sufficient, and independent.
- Buffalo: Many North American Indian tribes consider the buffalo to be a symbol of abundance as it was one of the primary sources of meat and clothing for the tribe. Buffalo’s Medicine symbolizes a reverence for Nature.
- Cat: Sacred to the ancient Egyptians cats represent with mystery and clairvoyance. As a ‘power animal’ it may represent your intuitive abilities or your magical powers. In Scandinavia it is a spiritual symbol for fertility.
- Deer: Denotes a person who is swift and alert. Their perceptions are very keen and may include the psychic sixth sense. Gentleness and grace are also traditional characteristics associated with this spiritual totem animal.
- Dog: A person with a dog power animal is devoted to family and friends.
- Dolphin: Dolphins represent kindness and playfulness. Dolphin medicine includes change, wisdom, balance, harmony, communication skills and freedom.
POWERFUL SPIRIT ANIMALS
- Eagle: A symbol of power, healing and wisdom associated with the Great Spirit. It may also represent the power of clear vision.
- Horse: A horse ‘power animal’ brings stamina and mobility. Horse is also represents loyalty, devotion and faithfulness. It is also associated with travel.
- Lion: The lion denotes power. As a teacher it shows forbearance.
- Owl: The Owl’s powers include discrimination and truth. It has keen sight and is silent and swift. The owl is the messenger of secrets and omens.
- Rabbit: The timid rabbit represents having wit in the face of fear. As a power spirit animal guide it brings modesty and quick thinking.
- Wolf: Native Americans regard wolves as teachers and pathfinders. As a power spirit animal guide a wolf brings self-confidence and the courage to face change.
This is a copyrighted extract about totem animals and spirit animal guides from my book Psychic Dreaming by Craig Hamilton-Parker ( ISBN 1-4027-0474-7 Sterling Publishers 2004 )
Find Out More About Totem Animals:
‘Psychic Protection’ will help you to overcome the negative forces in your life. It is an easy to understand explanation of paranormal forces and gives powerful techniques to protect the soul. Included is info about Spirit Animals and finding your Totem Animal guide.
CLICK TO FIND OUT MORE